This class has completed. Please inquire about other classes or to start a new class.
Unravel the mysteries and techniques of drawing. This series of classes will cover basic and advanced principles of drawing, so whether you are a practiced artist looking to refine your skills, or a beginner looking to draw the perfect stick figure, this class will help everyone move forward with fun, unique and challenging exercises and projects.
Whether it’s the world around us, our personal lives, or what we see in our imaginations, we are all unique and have our own way communicating our experience through drawing. Each session will focus on practical drawing approaches and techniques that artists can use to broaden their skill sets.
Areas we will cover are: training the eyes to see proportions, visual exercises, drawing from memory, seeing underlying 3D forms, light and shadow, and composition. As the class progresses, we will delve into these categories in more detail.
Perspective and draw through techniques will round things out for a series of inspiring final projects involving design and conceptual illustration; real world applications of what we have learned.
You will need:
1) A drawing pad, no smaller than 14” x 17”. This can be normal drawing paper with a slight texture depending on preference. The paper should be durable enough to withstand repeated erasing.
*** (For design work, I often use pencil on magic marker paper as it’s very durable and can withstand a lot of erasing. It is white paper, but also semi-transparent so it can be used to overlay sketches)
2) Pencils, etc: A hard lead pencil such as a 2H for preliminary sketching, an HB for line work, and a 2B for shading is suggested. Charcoal, ebony or graphite pencils can also be used for shading and bold line work.
*** ( Pentel mechanical pencils 7mm and 9mm work great for detail line work, and have good erasers. I have used HB & 2B lead refills in the past)
3) Erasers: A soft eraser such as a Magic Rub, Kneaded or gum are suggested.
4) Patience and an open mind: We will supply as needed!
5) Optional: Any drawing materials you are comfortable using. We will be working on flat tables. If you need an angled board, you will need to bring it with you. We will also do our best to accommodate you with what we have in the studio.